What does that mean?
It means you learn to lead, guide, and take action. You’ll practice and hone a variety of essential skills including “platform skills”, leading and debriefing discussions, responding to group dynamics, adapting on the fly to meet group needs – all while meeting the learning objectives.
Sounds like a lot to juggle.
It is, but we help you build your foundation. This 12-hour virtual instructor-led course focuses on growing your skills to artfully deliver sex education in your community. Delivered through five weekly, two-hour sessions held at pre-set times, the course incorporates a hands-on practice session utilizing the Advocates for Youth classroom simulation program (simulated teaching experience). And yes, there’s a bit of homework (3 hours worth).
What happens next? You grow your skills:
- Create and deliver a power packed introduction of yourself
- Develop and use strong platform skills (voice volume, verbal pace, physical stance, eye contact, etc.)
- Lead and guide a group discussion and discussion debrief
- Lead a group brainstorming session
- Create smooth transitions within group discussions
- Give clear instructions to the group
- Respond to group dynamics
- Effectively adapt on the fly to meet participant needs and learning objectives
October 18 – November 10, 2021 (Mondays)
March 8 – 31, 2022 (Tuesdays)
June 2 – 28, 2022 (Thursdays)
All courses are offered from 12 – 2 PST